UMMC employees lauded with Spero Awards
Published on Monday, August 30, 2021
By: Ruth Cummins, email@example.com
A number of UMMC care teams and providers have been honored in the annual Spero Awards presented by the Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency.
The awards program recognizes community and hospital partners that make organ, eye and tissue donation a reality for those in need of life-saving and healing transplants. The word spero is Latin for “hope,” chosen to reflect the hope made possible through the gift of life.
“While the last year has been unprecedented, we want to highlight and thank our health care heroes for their dedication to honoring the wishes of donors and donor families even during a pandemic, said Kevin Stump, MORA chief executive officer. “Their amazing work translates into miracles for patients and their loved ones waiting on a second chance at life.
Those lauded at UMMC include:
• Advanced Practice Nurse/Nurse Manager— Lindsey Tatum, supply chain clinical analyst.
• Community Faith Leader—hospital chaplain Mark Gilbert.
• Most Supportive Care Team— surgical intensive care unit.
• Nurse Champion— Jevon Harper, SICU registered nurse.
• Physician Champion—Dr. Joseph Doherty, assistant professor of emergency medicine. MORA has created a video highlighting the work of UMMC and other hospitals and community partners in promoting transplant and organ donation. For a full list of Spero Award nominees, visit msora.org/2021SperoAwards