Resources for Former Employees

Main Content

Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) Refund

Former employees of UMMC may request a refund or rollover of your member contributions and interest. The only portion of a PERS Refund process that UMMC provides is completing the Employer Certification.  UMMC does not have access to your account balance.

For questions regarding the refund process or your current account balance, please contact PERS.  Contact information for PERS is available on their website

PERS refund process:

  1. To request a PERS refund, complete a PERS Form 5 (Member Refund Application).  Form 5 is on the PERS website:

  2. Complete sections 1-4 of the form. 

  3. Section 5, “Employer Certification,” is completed by UMMC.  You may submit your completed form to UMMC using one of the below methods. 

    Important: in the body of your email or on your fax cover sheet, indicate whether UMMC should return the completed form to you or whether we should send the form to PERS on your behalf.

Fax: 601-496-8190
US Mail:
University of Mississippi Medical Center
Human Resources Service Center
2500 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39216


Due to the high volume of requests, UMMC Human Resources is unable to provide telephone support for PERS Refund questions.  Please contact PERS for support with refunds.  You may reach UMMC by email at if we can be of assistance to you.

Important information about PERS refunds

If you request a refund or rollover of your PERS contribution after separation from UMMC and later return to work at UMMC or go to work for another Mississippi state agency, you will have to start over with your vesting.  Also, when you request a refund, you will only receive the monies that you contributed to PERS and not the employer contribution.  PERS will issue your refund after final wages and contributions are posted to your account, which could take up to 90 calendar days from the date of their receipt.