Dental Hygiene Entry-Level Traditional Program Requirements
In addition to the admission standards of the institution and the general admission requirements of the School of Dentistry, candidates seeking admission to Dental Hygiene's entry-level traditional program must:
- Have completed a minimum of 60 semester hours of academic credit (exclusive of physical education, military science, dogmatic religion and vocational courses) from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning;
- Have a minimum overall cumulative grade point average of 2.50 on 4.00 scale;
- Have completed 8 hours observation of a licensed or registered dental hygienist in two separate clinical environments;
- Complete an interview and submit a resume;
- Submit ACT scores;
- Have completed 12 hours of the science prerequisite courses and 24 of the non-science courses prior to the Feb. 1 application deadline to the program; and,
- Have successfully completed (a grade of C or better) the following minimum prerequisite number of required courses.
|Required courses||No. of courses||No. of hours|
|General Biology or Zoology w/ Lab||1||4|
|General Chemistry with Lab||2||8|
|Intro to Sociology||1||3|
|Anatomy and Physiology with Lab *||2||8|
|Microbiology with Lab||1||4|
|Abnormal, Adolescent/Child, Educational or Developmental Psychology||1||3|
*One course in anatomy plus 1 course in physiology or anatomy and physiology combined for two courses.
Program application deadline
All application documents and application fees must be received by the Office of Enrollment Management by Feb. 1st. In-person interviews are by invitation only for qualified applicants and are held the first Friday of March. General application information may be found in the General Application Procedures section of the School of Dentistry n the UMMC Bulletin.
The following criteria are utilized in selecting students to the Dental Hygiene program: