About the School of Dentistry
The University of Mississippi School of Dentistry, the state's only dental school, admitted its first class in 1975.
Dentistry remains one of the most respected professions nationally, and an increasing number of young men and women seek to enter dental schools each year. The student body in the School of Dentistry represents an accomplished and diverse group of individuals from communities throughout the state.
The school delivers state-of-the-art dental care in Mississippi, provided by student doctors in the school, by resident doctors in the school, University Hospital and Medical Mall, and by our full-time faculty in the school's faculty practice suite.
The school houses more than 5,000 square feet of research laboratories from which innovative, world-class research is currently being conducted by faculty.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the vision of the University of Mississippi School of Dentistry, core values and mission areas - lifelong learning, collaborative teaching, service, and research. The University of Mississippi School of Dentistry possesses an inclusive workforce and student body which is essential to achieve our mission and vision outcomes. Teaching and learning environments must foster a culture of inclusiveness where individuals are respected and welcomed and differences are recognized as strengths that can enhance the educational and patient care experiences. Our core values of integrity, professionalism, caring, diversity, leadership, research, excellence, and continous improvement are essential in becoming a nationally recognized center of excellence in dental education, patient care, research and services for the citizens of Mississippi.
UMMC School of Dentistry will develop and fully support programs, internal and external collaborations, and partnerships designed to enhance diversity and inclusion in dental healthcare, education, research; address dental healthcare inequities; and eliminate biases, harassment, discrimination, and pluralism.
The UMMC School of Dentistry strives to be a nationally recognized center of excellence in dental education, patient care, research, and services in order to improve health outcomes and eliminate dental health care disparities for the citizens of Mississippi.
Its mission is to foster an environment of lifelong learning, collaborative teaching, service, and research through partnerships within the Medical Center and with community organizations and dental health practitioners throughout Mississippi. The school is committed to acquiring and retaining a diverse community of students, residents, fellows, faculty, and staff which exemplifies qualities of leadership and dedication in preparing competent, ethical dental health professionals for the state of Mississippi and who work to improve health outcomes and eliminate health disparities.
- Honesty and fairness in our actions
- Building trust within our relationships
- Courage to do "what is right"
- Ethical conduct, character and spirit for the advancement of our professions
- Concern for and recognizing the needs of others
- Kindness and compassion shown in all interactions
- Accepting our differences while working together as a cohesive group and recognizing the value and strength derived through diversity
- Willingness to take responsibility
- Creating a vision, setting goals to make a difference
- Promotion of innovative research by faculty and students
- Realize and commit to our full potential
- Achievement and performance set to the highest standards
- Collaborative teaching within the Medical Center
- Dedication to lifelong learning while recognizing the need to change for improvement
- Establishing and monitoring goals to enhance our value to the profession and the citizens of Mississippi