TN Visas

Main Content


Spouses and children (under 21 years of age) of TN non-immigrants are assigned a TD (Trade Dependent) non-immigrant status. Dependents are not allowed to work in the United States, but can engage in full-time or part-time study.

Canadian dependents

Dependents who are Canadian citizens are not required to have a TD visa. They can either apply for TD status at the time the TN principal applicant applies for TN status, or they can apply for admission to the United States separately in TD status by presenting a copy of the TN’s Form I-94 and employment letter, and proof of relationship (marriage certificate for spouse and birth certificate for children). Dependents are not required to pay the $50 admission fee.

Non-Canadian citizen dependents are required to apply for TD visa stamp at a U.S. consulate in order to be admitted to the United States When presenting their visa application, dependents must include the TN’s employment letter, a copy of the TN’s Form I-94, and a copy or the marriage certificate (spouse) and/or birth certificate (children).

Mexican dependents

Both Mexican citizen dependents and non-Mexican citizen dependents must apply for a TD visa stamp in order to enter the United States. Dependents can submit a visa application at the same time as the TN, or can apply separately at a later date with copies of the TN’s admission documents and proof of the relationship (marriage certificate/birth certificate).

Extension of stay for TD dependents

Dependents should file for an extension of their authorized period of stay in TD status at the same time the TN’s extension is filed. Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, is used to extend dependent status. The I-539 should be filed concurrently with the TN’s Form I-129.