Neuro-ophthalmology has been a keen focus of clinical care and research since its University of Mississippi Medical Center formation at UMMC in 1978. It focuses on disorders affecting the eye and nervous system.
Today, Dr. James J. Corbett serves as a neuro-ophthalmologist for both the UMMC neurology and ophthalmology departments. Special interests include idiopathic intracranial hypertension, neuro-sarcoidosis, visual complications of migraine, migraine and optic neuropathies.
- Diagnosis and treatment of diseases regarding the optic nerve, chiasm and visual brain
- Diagnostic testing of pupil abnormalities
- Diagnosis and treatment of visual complications of hydrocephalus and elevated spinal fluid pressure
- Diagnosis and treatment of ocular motility disturbances
- Diagnosis and treatment of hemifacial spasm and blepharospasm
- Treatment of thyroid eye disease (Grave's disease)
- Visual field testing and interpretation