2022 Pillars Honorees
Click here to watch the awards presentation video that was released Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2022.
Excellence Award - Student/Trainee Category
- Honoree - Ivanna Adams-Nelson, School of Medicine, Class of 2024
- Honorable Mention - Alex Fratesi, School of Medicine, Class of 2023; Jamarius Waller, School of Medicine/School of Graduate Studies in the Health Sciences, Class of 2022
The Excellence Award honors a student, resident, or fellow from any school of UMMC who demonstrates an outstanding commitment to the institution’s goals to promote diversity and inclusion within the institution and through service to the commUNITY.
Inclusion Award - Staff Category
- Honoree - Dan Coleman, PhD, School of Medicine
- Honorable Mention - Leslye Bastos Ortega; Vickie Skinner, DHA
The Inclusion Award recognizes a full-time or part-time executive/administrative, professional, secretarial and clerical, service and maintenance, skilled crafts, or technical & paraprofessionals staff member that does not hold a faculty position who has shown outstanding leadership in expanding diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Beacon Award - Faculty Category
- Honoree - Norma Ojeda, MD, School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics &
Jeannette Simino, PhD, School of Population Health, Department of Data Science
- Honorable Mention - Adam Alexander, DDM; Erin Dehon, PhD; Susana M. Salazar Marocho, PhD
The Beacon Award honors any clinical or non-clinical faculty member with an academic designation or rank who demonstrates inclusive excellence in teaching, instruction, research, or clinical practice at UMMC.
Lifetime Achievement Award - Alumni Category
- Honoree - Lisa Cain, PhD, School of Graduate Studies in the Health Sciences
The Lifetime Achievement Award acknowledges an alumni who has made a significant contribution to improving health outcomes in diverse communities in the state of Mississippi and beyond.
Esprit De Corps Award - Team, Department or Office Category
- Honoree - Department of Emergency Medicine
- Honorable Mention - Judith Gore Gearhart Clinical Skills Center; TEAM Clinic
The Esprit De Corps Award acknowledges a team, department, or office that demonstrates successful collaboration on efforts to improve outcomes of diverse communities in any of UMMC's mission areas of education, research, and health care.
Inspiration Award - Community Category
- Honoree - Jackson Free Clinic
The Community Inspiration Award recognizes a community member or an organization that helps advance diverse and/or underrepresented communities through servant leadership in the areas of fairness and inclusion.