2021 Pillars Honorees
Click here to watch the awards presentation video that was released Thursday, Jan. 28, 2021.
Excellence Award - Student/Trainee Category
- Honoree - Jeremy Courtney, MD, Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care
- Honorable Mention - Reid Black, School of Medicine, Class of 2021; Jared Vaughan, School of Medicine, Class of 2021
The Excellence Award honors a student, resident, or fellow from any school of UMMC who demonstrates an outstanding commitment to the institution’s goals to promote diversity and inclusion within the institution and through service to the commUNITY.
Inclusion Award - Staff Category
- Honoree - Victoria Gholar, RN-BC
- Honorable Mention - Tara Brock; Erinn Funches
The Inclusion Award recognizes a full-time or part-time executive/administrative, professional, secretarial and clerical, service and maintenance, skilled crafts, or technical & paraprofessionals staff member that does not hold a faculty position who has shown outstanding leadership in expanding diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Beacon Award - Faculty Category
- Honoree - Ervin Fox, MD, Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Diseases
- Honorable Mention - Caroline Compretta, PhD; Michelle Owens, MD; Roberto Santos, MD
The Beacon Award honors any clinical or non-clinical faculty member with an academic designation or rank who demonstrates inclusive excellence in teaching, instruction, research, or clinical practice at UMMC.
Lifetime Achievement Award - Alumni Category
- Honoree - Mary B. Taylor, MD, Suzan B. Thames Chair, Department of Pediatrics
The Lifetime Achievement Award acknowledges an alumni who has made a significant contribution to improving health outcomes in diverse communities in the state of Mississippi.
Esprit De Corps Award - Team, Department or Office Category
- Honoree - Jackson Fee Clinic
- Honorable Mention - Department of Dermatology; Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS); John D. Bower School of Population Health
The Esprit De Corps Award acknowledges a team, department, or office that demonstrates successful collaboration on efforts to improve outcomes of diverse communities in any of UMMC's mission areas of education, research, and health care.
Inspiration Award - Community Category
- Honoree - Women's Foundation of Mississippi
The Community Inspiration Award recognizes a community member or an organization that helps advance diverse and/or underrepresented communities through servant leadership in the areas of fairness and inclusion.