In 1964, the world’s first heart transplant was performed at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC). Dr. James D. Hardy and his team transplanted the heart of a chimpanzee into the chest of a dying man. The heart beat for 90 minutes before it stopped, and the event set the stage for all future heart transplantation. Today, UMMC continues that spirit of innovation by offering the state's only heart transplant program.
Our heart transplant team of dedicated surgeons, cardiologists, nurse practitioners, transplant coordinators, social workers, financial coordinators, pharmacists, dieticians, and others are here to provide personalized, family-centered care before and after transplant. Leading the team are physicians trained and certified in advanced heart failure and transplant/cardiology by the American Board of Internal Medicine.
UMMC also offers the states only mechanical circulatory support, or LVAD program, as a bridge to transplant.
Pre- and post-transplant medical management is available through our special clinics at University Physicians Pavilion and University Physicians – Grants Ferry.
Easy access to care for our patients is important to us. For heart transplant patients who live outside of the Jackson area, we provide evaluation services and post-transplant care in Grenada and Tupelo.
2500 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39216
General Information: 601-984-1000
Patient Appointments: 888-815-2005