Newborn Medicine (Neonatology)

Main Content

NICU and ICN Care Team

Children's of Mississippi provides a higher level of care for newborns and infants in its Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and Intermediate Care Nursery (ICN). Specialized care teams include many different members skilled to care for your baby. Below is a brief description of those that may care for your baby.

  • Attending physician - A pediatrician with advanced training in the care of sick and premature newborns. This doctor supervises your baby’s medical treatment and plans daily care.
  • Pediatric surgeon - A surgeon who specializes in the surgical management and treatment of babies and children.
  • Neonatology fellow - A physician in advanced training in the care of sick newborns.
  • Pediatric resident - A physician who has graduated from medical school and is receiving special training in pediatrics. A resident participates in the care of patients under the direction of an attending physician.
  • Neonatal nurse practitioner - A nurse who has graduated from a nurse practitioner program with specialized training in working with premature and sick newborns. He or she works under the direction of the neonatologist, can perform many procedures, and helps direct your baby’s care.
  • Physician assistant - Someone who has completed a PA master’s degree program and has advanced training in the medical or surgical care of newborns, and works on the team with the doctors.
  • Registered nurse – A nurse is assigned to care for your baby at all times. These nurses are specially trained to care for sick newborns and will assist you at the bedside in learning to care for your baby.
  • Social worker - A professional who is specifically trained to provide emotional support to you during your baby’s NICU stay. The social worker will serve as your advocate, securing benefits and services which you are entitled to receive. He or she provides sources of information on your baby’s medical problems, and helps you make any special arrangements with housing and transportation during your baby’s hospitalization.
  • Respiratory therapist – A specialized health professional trained to care for babies with breathing problems and to use the medical equipment needed to care for these babies.
  • Speech and language pathologist - A specialized health professional who assess a baby’s readiness to begin feeding by mouth and make specific recommendations such as what type of bottle or nipple to use.
  • Early interventionist— A specialized health professional works with patients and families to “normalize” the hospital environment and decrease stress and anxiety. They are trained to offer developmental support using our developmental tools and age appropriate equipment.
  • Physical therapist (PT) - A specialized health professional helps evaluate how a baby moves and how any movement problems may affect milestones like sitting, rolling over, and walking. The PT aims to improve muscle strength and coordination.
  • Occupational therapist (OT) - A specialized health professional will help evaluate your baby’s neurosensory development. Focus will be on range of motion in the arms and developmental positioning.
  • Hospital tech - A person who helps the registered nurse care for your baby.