Children's Hospital School Program
School plays an important role in the lives of children. When a child is hospitalized, the Children’s of Mississippi Hospital School Program steps in to continue normal, everyday educational activities and assist children in continuing towards their academic goals.
Our Hospital School operates on a schedule similar to Mississippi’s public schools, five days a week for a full academic school year. Our licensed teachers provide educational services to match the ages as well as the learning needs and abilities of the children taught.
Special services for parents
Our teachers are also advocates for parents and families. In addition to our regular teaching activities, we
- Serve as liaisons between the patients and their schools
- Help students transition smoothly from a hospital stay back into school
- Connect families to homebound instruction and diagnostic consultations
- Assist in developing an Individual Educational Program (IEP)/504 plans
Before your stay
We realize not all hospital stays are planned. However, if you are preparing for an upcoming hospital stay, your child can get started in the school program more quickly if you:
- Notify your school of the upcoming absence. By letting your child’s teacher and/or counselor know, they can put assignments together ahead of time.
- Tell your school about our program. Not all schools are aware of these provided services. Please let them know so they can expect to hear from us and be prepared to send us your child’s work.
- Bring all books and assignments.
If you want to learn more or request our services, please make your medical team aware that you’d like to speak with a hospital teacher. Or, send an email to email@example.com.