Md Torikul Islam
PhD Candidate, Department of Nutrition and Integrative Physiology Research Assistant, Translational Vascular Physiology Laboratory
University of Utah College of Health
15 North 2030 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112
PhD, Nutrition and Integrative Physiology, University of Utah, 2017-Present (Expected Graduation:2022) BS, Nutrition and Food Science, University of Dhaka, 2016
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT (2017-present)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Nutrition and Integrative Physiology
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE (2016-2017)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Nutrition and Health Science
University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2012-2016)
- Undergraduate Research Assistant, Institute of Nutrition and Food Science
HONORS AND RECOGNITION
Cardiovascular Section Research Recognition Award, American Physiological Society, 2022 Early Career Investigators Travel Grant, American Heart Association, 2021
Best Poster Award, University of Utah Diabetes and Metabolism Research Retreat, 2021
Endocrinology & Metabolism Section Research Recognition Award, American Physiological Society, 2019 Travel Scholarship, American Physiological Society, 2019
Best Poster Prize, University of Utah 13th Annual Center on Aging Research Retreat, 2019 Harriet Kohn Fellowship, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, 2016 Undergraduate Merit Scholarship, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2016
Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSC) Merit Scholarship, Bangladesh, 2009
Ad-hoc reviewer for the following journals: Experimental Gerontology, Current Rheumatology Reviews, Frontiers in Physiology, British Journal on Nutrition, World Journal of Surgical Oncology etc.
I have co-reviewed grant applications with my mentor from different funding agencies including National Institute of Health, American Heart Association etc.
American Physiological Society, 2018-Present American Heart Association, 2019-Present American Society for Nutrition, 2017-2018
Sports Secretary, Bangladesh Student Association, University of Utah, 2019/20
Vice President, Bangladesh Student Association, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2016/17
NUIP 7305 Advanced Cardiovascular Physiology 2, Teaching Assistant and Lecture “Neural-Humoral Adjustments to Orthostasis and Long-Term Control.” University of Utah, 2021
Shelby Hall, University of Utah, 2020 – Present
Shelby joined the lab with little to no experience with mouse works and wet lab techniques. I trained her on maintaining genetically modified mouse colonies, performing metabolic testing in mice, arterial stiffness measurement in mice and ex vivo vasodilation assays, basic wet lab techniques including but not limited to qPCR, western blotting, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays and histological assays. Her authorships in several of my manuscripts and abstracts highlights her competence and contribution.
Tavia Dutson, University of Utah, 2019 – 2021
I was closely involved with the entire hiring process of Tavia. We hired her as a motivated, enthusiastic person, but no experience in laboratory work. Under my active guidance, she quickly gained expertise on maintaining genetically modified mouse colonies, performing metabolic testing in mice, and basic wet lab techniques including but not limited to qPCR, western blotting, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays and histological assays. Her authorships in several of my manuscripts and abstracts highlights her competence and contribution.
Jonathan Mitton, University of Utah, 05/2019 – 08/2019
Jonathan joined our lab a summer medical student under NIH T35 fellowship program. I was his primary mentor and trained him metabolic testing in mouse and basic wet lab techniques such as cell culture, western blotting, and qPCR. He worked on the role of endothelial cell Arf6 on systemic metabolic function. After the completion of his training and presented his work at his medical school and received best poster award, highlighting his success under my mentorship.
Eric S. Sorensen, University of Utah, 05/2019 – 08/2019
Eric joined our lab a summer medical student under NIH T35 fellowship program. I was his co-mentor and trained him metabolic testing in mouse and ex vivo vasodilation assay. He worked on the role of T cells on age-related systemic metabolic and arterial function. His contribution led him to earn coauthor ship in two original research articles, underscoring his productivity within a short period of time.
Shanena Allen, University of Utah, 05/2022 – 08/2022
Shanena have received a NIH T35 fellowship to gain research skill and experience. She reached to our laboratory, and I have agreed to do the mentoring during Summer-2022 semester. She will be working on the role of endothelial cell Arf6 signaling pathway on atherosclerosis.
GRECC Translational Rounds, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, June, 2022
Children Research Institute, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, June, 2022 Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, May, 2022
Touchstone Diabetes Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, April, 2022 Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, March, 2022
American Physiological Society, Experimental Biology, Virtual, April, 2021
Diabetes and Metabolism Research Retreat, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, November, 2020 American Physiological Society, Experimental Biology, Orlando, FL, April, 2019
- Machin DR, DW Trott, Gogulamudi VR, Islam MT, Vink H, Lesniewski, LA, Donato AJ. Dietary Glycocalyx Precursor Supplementation Restores the Endothelial Glycocalyx and Ameliorates Age-Related Vascular Dysfunction. Aging Cell (In revision).
- Gogulamudi VR, Durrant JR, Adeyemo AO, Islam MT, Hyuhn MH, Walker AE, Lesniewski Advancing age increases the susceptibility to lipidemic, but not oscillatory shear-induced, atheromas in mouse models of atherosclerosis. (Under review with GeroScience).
- Islam MT, Tuday EC, Kim J, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA. Senolytic drugs, Dasatinib and Quercetin, attenuate adipose tissue inflammation and ameliorate metabolic function in old (Under review with Journal of Clinical Investigation).
- Islam MT, Hall SA, Bloom SI, Dutson T, Bramwell RC, Tucker JR, Machin DR, Donato AJ, Lesniewski Endothelial cell-specific reduction of mTOR reverses age-related vascular and metabolic dysfunctions. (In preparation).
- Gogulamudi VR*, Islam MT*, Durrant, JR, Adeyemo AO, Trott, DW, Hyuhn, MH, Li DY, Zhu W, Walker AE, Lesniewski LA. Heterozygosity for ADP-ribosylation factor 6 ameliorates atherosclerosis in mice. (Under review with Atherosclerosis). (*equal contribution as first author)
- Trott DW*, Islam MT*, Buckley DJ, Donato AJ, Dutson T, Sorensen ES, Cai J, Gogulamudi VR, Phuong TT, Lesniewski LA. T lymphocyte depletion ameliorates age-related metabolic impairments in mice. GeroScience. 2021 Apr 24:1-7. (*equal contribution as first author)
- Muthuraj PG, Pattnaik A, Sahoo PK, Islam MT, Pattnaik AK, Byrareddy SN, Hanson C, Anderson Berry A, Kachman SD, Natarajan SK. Palmitoleate Protects against Zika Virus-Induced Placental Trophoblast Apoptosis. Biomedicines. 2021 Jun;9(6):643.
- Islam MS, Sana S, Haque ME, Rahman SM, Samad A, Al Noman A, Alam R, Rana S, Meem RI, Mondol D, Islam MS, Islam MT, Mazumder K. Methanol, ethyl acetate and n-hexane extracts of Tragia involucrata L. leaves exhibit anxiolytic, sedative and analgesic activity in Swiss albino mice. Heliyon. 2021 Jan 1;7(1):e05814.
- Islam MT, Henson GD, Machin DR, Bramwell RC, Donato AJ, Lesniewski Aging differentially impacts vasodilation and angiogenesis in arteries from the white and brown adipose tissues. Experimental Gerontology. 2020 Dec 1;142:111126.
- Machin DR, Auduong Y, Gogulamudi VR, Liu Y, Islam MT, Lesniewski LA, Donato Lifelong SIRT-1 overexpression attenuates large artery stiffening with advancing age. Aging (Albany NY). 2020 Jun 30;12(12):11314.
- Walker AE, Breevoort SR, Durrant JR, Liu Y, Machin DR, Dobson PS, Nielson EI, Meza AJ, Islam MT, Donato AJ, Lesniewski The pro-atherogenic response to disturbed blood flow is increased by a western diet, but not by old age. Scientific reports. 2019 Feb 27;9(1):1-1.
- Farhana JA, Akther F, Talukder MU, Islam A, Islam MT, Bhuyan AH. Role of mothers’ nutritional knowledge, nutritional factors on the school International Journal of Public Health Science. 2015 Mar;4(1):44-9.
- Talukder MU, Alam MM, Islam MA, Paul GK, Islam MT, Akther F. Study on the nutritional status of the street children at Shabagh Area of Dhaka City. International Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences. 2015;4(3):240-5.
Reviews, Previews and Editorials
- Bloom SI*, Islam MT*, Lesniewski LA, Donato Mechanisms and Consequences of Endothelial Cell Senescence. Nature Reviews Cardiology. 2022 July 19. (*denotes equal contribution)
- Islam MT, Holland WL, Lesniewski Multicolor fluorescence biosensors reveal a burning need for diversity in the single-cell metabolic landscape. Trends in Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2021 May 7.
- Islam MT, Hall SA, Lesniewski Chronic aerobic exercise: targeting two birds with one stone. The Journal of Physiology. 2021 Feb;599(4):1015-6.
- Islam MT. Impact of statins on vascular smooth muscle cells and relevance to The Journal of physiology. 2020 Jun;598(12):2295-6.
- Islam MT, Hall SA, Bloom SI, Bramwell RC, Dutson T, Tucker JR, Kim J, Machin DR, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA. Endothelial Cell Specific Deletion of mTOR Ameliorates Age-Related Arterial and Metabolic Dysfunction. Circulation. 2021 Nov 16;144(Suppl_1): A12952-.
- Islam MT, Tuday E, Kim J, Dutson T, Phuong T, Donato A, Lesniewski L. Senolytic Drugs, Dasatinib and Quercetin, Attenuate Adipose Tissue T Lymphocyte Infiltration and Improve Metabolic Function in Old Mice. The FASEB Journal. 2021 Apr 1;35 (S1).
- Bloom SI, Islam MT, Tucker JR, Phuong T, Sorensen E, Cai J, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ. Induction of Telomere Uncapping in Adipocytes Results in Cellular Senescence and Metabolic The FASEB Journal. 2020 Apr 1;34(S1):1-.
- Machin DR, Auduong Y, Liu Y, Gogulamudi VR, Islam MT, Lesniewski LA, Donato Lifelong SIRT‐1 Overexpression Attenuates Aortic Stiffening with Advancing Age. The FASEB Journal. 2020 Apr 1;34(S1):1-.
- Dutson T, Islam MT, Cai J, Sun Z, Fang D, Donato AJ, Zhu W, Lesniewski LA. Arf6 Heterozygosity Results in Impaired Glucose Tolerance Due to Aberrant Hepatic Gluconeogenesis. The FASEB Journal. 2020 Apr 1;34(S1):1-.
- Islam MT, Cai J, Tucker JR, Mitton J, Zhu W, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA. Endothelial Cell‐Specific Deletion of Small GTPase ARF6 Results in Blunted Insulin‐Stimulated Vasodilation and Systemic Insulin Resistance via Arf6/Akt/eNOS Signaling Pathway. The FASEB Journal. 2020 Apr 1;34(S1):1-.
- Islam MT, Tippetts TS, Gogulamudi VR, Holland WL, Summers SA, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA. Deletion of miR‐92a Results in Glucose Intolerance via Impaired Pancreatic Beta Cell The FASEB Journal. 2019 Apr;33(S1):714-2.
- Natarajan SK, Bruett T, Muthukrishnan E, Islam MT, Mott Saturated free fatty acids induce trophoblast lipoapoptosis. The FASEB Journal. 2017 Apr; 31:642-10.