The UMMC Rheumatology fellowship is a two-year clinical fellowship that focuses on:
- clinical skills;
- scholarly activity;
- and teaching and development of consultative ability.
Prior to start of the fellowship, a successful completion of 3 years of the US ACGME-approved Internal Medicine training is required. Completion of the Rheumatology fellowship program requires passage of the American Board of Internal Medicine Examination in Internal Medicine.
The division's board-certified academic rheumatologists and rheumatology fellows provide consultative services at the University Hospital, the University of Mississippi Medical Pavilion, and the G.V. "Sonny" Montgomery VA Medical Center. The division’s faculty and providers also maintain vigorous outpatient services at the VA Medical Center and the University of Mississippi Outpatient Clinics both on site and at satellite locations.
- Click here to see a sample fellowship rotation schedule.
The fellowship in Rheumatology is dedicated to developing competent rheumatologists who embrace lifelong learning by providing excellent rheumatology training and education in a holistic and scholarly environment.
To educate and inspire the next generation of rheumatologists and to serve the citizens of the state of Mississippi by training and developing academically and clinically competent rheumatologists.
- Scholarship: Promote teaching, learning, and dissemination of knowledge
- Integrity: Act ethically and promote accountability
- Diversity: Value the contribution of each individual and embrace their unique perspective
- Purpose: Provide training in a supportive and holistic environment to improve the care for our patients we serve
- Excellence: Strive to enhance the state-of-the-art training for our fellows to ensure competency
- Train the next generation of rheumatologists to deliver quality, patient-centered care in an ever-changing health care environment
- Train and produce knowledgeable and competent rheumatologists who are passionate about life-long learning and advancing the field of rheumatology
- Emphasize an interdisciplinary, culturally competent, and patient-focused approach to providing care to rheumatology patients
- Focus on growth of the trainees not only as rheumatologists but also as individuals in a holistic environment, decreasing physician burnout and promoting work-life harmony
- Instill respect and appreciation for all members of the health care team
- Impart continual quality improvement analysis techniques
If you are an applicant for a fellowship position, apply through ERAS.
- Rheumatology Fellowship Program
Division of Rheumatology
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 N. State St.
Jackson, MS 39216
Fax: (601) 984-5535
- Division coordinator: Teresa Clayton