About Emergency Medicine
The Col. Harland Sanders Children's Emergency Department and the Selby and Richard McRae Children's Trauma Unit are accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Located on the UMMC campus in the Blair E. Batson Tower, children’s emergency medicine offers:
- The state’s only dedicated children’s emergency department and Level 1 trauma care, providing treatment to nearly 50,000 Mississippi children each year.
- A caring staff that is specially trained to work with children.
- Physicians who are board certified in pediatrics and/or pediatric emergency medicine.
- Pediatric subspecialists, who are experts in their field and available for consultation as needed.
- A Fast Track program designed to help children receive the appropriate level of care as quickly as possible. After reviewing each child’s symptoms, our emergency department team may escort the child to the Fast Track area to receive treatment sooner. Fast Track is not available by request. Each child’s care team will make every effort to examine them promptly.