Office of Clinical Trials
For Health Systems and Clinics
Clinical research studies are vital to the advancement of medicine and our vision to create "a Healthier Mississippi." However, we cannot do it alone. Throughout the year, UMMC recruits participants for hundreds of studies in many different therapeutic areas. The steps below provide a guide for how health systems and clinics can refer patients to trials conducted at UMMC.
Find trials that are actively enrolling on the UMMC Find a Trial site (Click here for COVID-19 related trials only) and review the trial information and inclusion/exclusion (I/E) criteria for relevant studies. The Find a Trial site has robust filter and search options including by keywords, therapeutic areas (study categories), study location, study type, age, and sex. The site also includes trials that are pending activation and those which have been closed to enrollment, but are currently active.
- I/E criteria can be found by clicking on the individual trial and then clicking on the "Click to view additional Eligibility Criteria" button on the bottom of the page.
- Perform a preliminary review of the trial and the I/E criteria in regards to the patient(s) under consideration. If there are any questions about the trial or I/E criteria, please contact the person listed under Contact Information for the specific trial.
- If you are unsure whether we have a study that may benefit your patient(s), inpatient or outpatient, please contact one of our clinical trialists at (601) 496-7837. They are happy to discuss all ongoing trials and provide you with a list of trials for which your patient(s) may qualify.
- For inpatient studies: After preliminary review, contact the person listed either via phone (preferred) or email for the specific trial to setup a screening visit/call. We will work with your system to determine the best way to conduct the screening and can initiate three-way calls between patients, providers, and the UMMC research team.
- For outpatient studies: After preliminary review, the primary provider can contact the person listed for the specific trial to setup the screening visit/call or, if preferred, provide the patient with the contact information and link to the trial directly.
We have a next-business day return communication policy and will respond to you or your patient's email and/or voicemail promptly.
UMMC research teams counsel patients to follow up with their primary care provider regarding their enrollment status. Per patient request, UMMC research teams will contact the patient's primary care provider on their behalf.
For more information about referring patients to trials at UMMC, contact the Office of Clinical Trials via email or (601) 815-5009.