The University of Mississippi School of Medicine was established on the campus of the University of Mississippi in Oxford in 1903, as a two-year school offering medical and graduate studies. Students in the School of Medicine left the state to complete their doctor of medicine degrees. In 1950, the State of Mississippi authorized the construction of a four-year medical school and University Hospital in order to stimulate interest in physicians practicing in the state.
Click here to read more about the history of UMMC and the Department of Surgery, 1903-2003.
2500 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39216
General Information: 601-984-1000
Patient Appointments: 888-815-2005