Latest Departmental News
2020 In-Service Exams
Congratulations to our outstanding residents who scored in the 94th %ile across all residency programs nationwide on the annual training examination!
We were a match for three outstanding students who recently earned their medical degrees. We look forward to what the next 5 years will bring:
- Shelby Barrera - University of Texas HSC at San Antonio
- Kelcie Oglesby - University of Alabama
- Trace Palmer - University of Mississippi Medical Center
3rd Annual Day of Giving
Department members, along with friends and family members, packed over 5,600 backpack meal kits for children in need on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020. See highlights of the event here.
Participation at the American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery Annual Meeting
Our department was well represented at the AAO-HNS/F Annual Meeting and Oto Experience held Sept. 14-18, 2019, in New Orleans.
- Jaxon Jordan, MD, (PGY-4) gave an oral presentation at the American Rhinological Society 65th Annual Meeting "Effect of an Evidenced based Peri-Operative Pain Protocol on Postoperative Opioid Use after Endoscopic Sinus Surgery."
- Dr. Andrea Lewis participated in a panel discussion, "Sleep and OSA: Where does Allergy Play?"
- Scott Stringer, MD, and Tristen Harris, PA participated in 2 panels including "APPs in ENT: Justify, Recruit and On Board for Success Part I and II." Dr. Stringer also presented "Innovations in Treatment of Chronic Sinusitis: From Bench to Clinical Practice."
Participation in Gulf States Regional Otolaryngology Conference
Faculty and residents attended the annual MSO meeting May 24-25, 2019. This year's event was held in Point Clear, AL. Resident presentations included "Resource Utilization & Management for Secondary Triage of Isolated Facial Trauma" by Dr. Amrita Ray (PGY-4), "Characteristics & Considerations for Children with Ankyloglossia Undergoing Frenulectomy" by Dr. Lauren Buck (PGY-4) and "Relationship of Overall Cardiovascular Health & Hearing Loss in an African American Population: The Jackson Heart Study" by Dr. Steven Curti (PGY-4). Faculty presentations included "Dizziness: Advances in Diagnosis & Treatment" by Dr. Tom Eby, "Trends in Perioperative Opioid Use" by Dr. Scott Stringer, "Updated Cochlear Implant Indications" by Dr. Claude Harbarger and "Evaluation & Management of the Snoring Patient" by Dr. Andrea Lewis.
Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meeting (COSM)
COSM was held May 1-5, 2019, in Austin, Texas. During this meeting, Drs. Jeff Carron, Lauren Buck (PGY-4) and Cindy Moore (PGY-2) won the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology Peds Video to Presentation Contest for their video titled "Surgical Approach to Juvenile Nasopharyngeal Angiofibroma." Additional participation included:
- Dr. John Schweinfurth - presentation - "Relationship of Overall Cardiovascular Health and Hearing Loss in an African-American Population "
- Dr. Amrita Ray (PGY-4) - posters - "Resource Utilization and Management for Secondary Triage of Isolated Facial Trauma (AAFPRS)", "The Effect of Marketing on Patient Preferences for Facial Injectables (AAFPRS), and "Association Between Cardiometabolic Risk Factors and Dizziness in African-Americans (TRIO)"
- Dr. Steven Curti (PGY-4) - poster - "Cutaneous Auto Flap Closure for Large, Obstructive Rhinophyma (AAFPRS)", and presentation - "Relationship of Overall Cardiovascular Health and Hearing Loss in African-American Population (TRIO)"