About the Department of Dermatology
Established in July 2013, the Department of Dermatology at University of Mississippi Medical Center prides itself on its dedicated faculty. Our physician-educators have expertise that spans the range of medical and surgical skin care. Each demonstrates excellence in education, patient care, and clinical research. Special areas of interest include medical dermatology, pediatric dermatology, complex medical dermatology, cosmetic dermatology, inpatient dermatology consultations, vitiligo and other issues associated with skin of color, lymphoma, Mohs surgery for skin cancers, melanoma and skin pathology. All of our dermatologists are board certified by the American Board of Dermatology.
Our faculty also demonstrate a willingness to listen and learn more. This when combined with strong interpersonal skills produces leaders at our institution who also donate considerable time to their community. We spend hundreds of hours providing free community service through the American Cancer Society Relay For Life, Jackson Science Center, health fairs and skin cancer screening efforts. This same spirit of giving has led our faculty to leadership roles in the American Academy of Dermatology, American Board of Dermatology, Dermatology Residency Review Committee, Mississippi State Medical Society, Mississippi Dermatologic Association, and the American Dermatological Association.
The goal of the Department of Dermatology is to provide world-class care to every patient while training medical students and resident physicians. We hope to extend the reach of our department throughout the state of Mississippi and the nation. The medical students and residents also improve the quality of the care we deliver by stimulating the faculty to constantly learn the evolving science of our field. You will get to know them as they assist us in the provision of patient care. Finally, the faculty are driven to advance the science of dermatology. To this end, our patients may be asked if they wish to participate in clinical trials and other studies.
All of this is embodied in our department’s mission:
- To enhance the patient-centered care provided by dermatologists in Mississippi.
- To focus on subspecialty care needs of patients and to support our dermatology colleagues throughout the state.
- To provide high-quality educational programming for medical students and residents.
- To provide timely and focused continuing medical education (CME) for dermatologists and other physicians in the state of Mississippi and throughout the region.
- To develop basic science, translational and clinical research programs that extend the knowledge base of dermatology.