About Radiologic Sciences

Main Content

Radiologic Sciences FAQ

How can I apply for the program?

Online applications for the upcoming fall semester will be available July 1 for the traditional program and Sept. 1 for the advanced standing program. The application deadline is Feb. 15 for the traditional program and July 1 for the advanced standing program. The program accepts one class each fall semester. If accepted, classes will begin in August. All applicants pay a non-refundable application fee of $25.

Admissions information may be obtained from the Office of Enrollment Management, at the following address:

  • Office of Enrollment Management
    University of Mississippi Medical Center
    2500 N. State St.
    Jackson, MS 39216-4505
    (601) 984-1080 

Do all of my prerequisite courses need to be complete in order to apply?

No. The online application contains a "Plan of Study" section where projected courses should be listed. All of the prerequisite courses must be complete prior to enrollment in the fall semester for students who are accepted into the program.

I only lack one course in the summer. Can I take it simultaneously with my Radiologic Sciences courses if I am accepted?

No.  All pre-requisite courses must be completed prior to enrollment in the program.

Does it help to get my prerequisites from a senior college, preferably Ole Miss?

The Department of Radiologic Sciences does not distinguish between where the courses are taken. The common number system of the Community Colleges and the Institutions of Higher Learning assures that the content is the same in the courses.

Does it matter if I take courses out of state?

No, as long as they have been taken at an accredited university or college.

How do I find out if my courses transfer?

The Office of Enrollment Management determines the courses that can be transferred. The telephone number is (601) 984-1080.

Do I need to have observation hours in order to apply for the traditional Radiologic Sciences program?

No; observation hours are not required for the admissions process.

Does CPR have to be complete in order to apply?

No. CPR certification will need to be completed prior to registration for students who are accepted into the traditional program. To obtain CPR certification, most students contact the American Heart Association to find out when and where BLS for Healthcare Provider CPR courses are offered. Some community colleges also offer 3 credit hour First Aid and CPR courses where students can obtain certification.

Do I need a background check?

Yes. Mississippi law requires all health care workers, including students, to have completed criminal background checks. All UMMC students who will participate in patient care activities will be required to successfully complete a criminal history background check, including fingerprinting, prior to beginning clinical activities. Applicants are advised that a felony conviction may affect a graduate's ability to sit for certification, registration, or licensure examinations.

Do you accept out-of-state residents? 

Selection of applicants is made on a competitive basis. For admission purposes, the School of Health Related Professions at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) may give preference to residents of Mississippi, as defined by Miss. Codes §§ 37-103-7 and 37-103-13, and IHL Policy 610. The School of Health Related Professions currently only accepts admission applications from individuals who are U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents.

What can I do to improve my chances of being accepted?

Maintaining a high GPA, high ACT score, and exploring as many facets of radiologic sciences as possible will help initial ranking and performance on the interview.  Excellent writing and good interpersonal skills are equally emphasized.  

How many students are accepted each year into your program?

Currently, the traditional Radiologic Sciences program accepts a maximum of 25 students one time per year.

What is the average GPA accepted into the program?

The average GPA is usually over 3.3.  This is based on an average, which means there are lower and higher GPAs; however, the range is usually from 3.00 to 4.00.

Can I apply to more than one program on the Medical Center campus?

Students are encouraged to apply to multiple programs. Each admissions process is a separate activity. 

I applied last year and was not accepted. Do I have to reapply for the program this year?


No waiting lists are formed. Instead, a selection process is used. Applications for this program do not roll over, so returning applicants must re-apply. 

Are evening or weekend classes available?

Course offerings in the traditional radiologic sciences curriculum meet from 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday. There are no evening or weekend classes available.

How many days a week are the clinical rotations for the traditional Radiologic Sciences program?

Clinical days vary throughout the program. During the first two semesters, students will be in clinical rotations two days per week. During the summer semester, students will be in clinical rotations four days per week. Students will be in clinical rotations three days per week during the last two semesters. There are no evening or weekend clinical assignments.

Can I work during the traditional Radiologic Sciences program?

The decision of whether or not to work is strictly that of the student. The radiologic sciences traditional program is full-time. The demands of both academic and clinical aspects of the program require dedication from the student. It is the desire of the radiologic sciences faculty that students be successful in this program and that essential learning not be compromised. Students will not be excused from class or clinical assignments for personal work schedules. Classroom attendance is expected, and accountability for knowledge and assignments is the student's responsibility.  

Are financial aid or scholarships available for the program?

For more information about financial aid, please contact Student Financial Services or (601) 984-1117. 

Workforce Enhancements Scholarships are available for Radiologic Sciences students once students are in their 3rd semester of the program.  

What is the salary for a radiologic technologist?

The salary for entry-level radiologic technologists varies from region to region in the United States. Salaries also vary for different modalities within the profession. 


What if I am accepted into the program and decide I want to withdraw after classes start?

Because the curriculum is progressive in nature, students are not allowed to withdraw from a single class without withdrawing from the entire program. When a student becomes interested in withdrawing from the program, the UMMC Bulletin provides details regarding the institution’s withdrawal policy and related tuition refunds. Additionally, withdrawal dates are highlighted on the academic calendar provided on the School of Health Related Professions webpage.

What will happen if I become pregnant while enrolled in the program?

Students in the Radiologic Sciences traditional program are encouraged not to become pregnant during the 22 months of school in order to be able to rotate through the various assigned areas without any interruption. However, if a student declares their pregnancy while enrolled in the Radiologic Sciences program, they will not be dismissed from school because of pregnancy. Please know that the disclosure of pregnancy is strictly voluntary. Pregnant students have the option to continue in the program without any modification in clinical placement while enrolled in the program. 

Radiologic Sciences students are informed of Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) regulations regarding the declared pregnant student. The program's pregnancy policy (radiation safety for the embryo-fetus) is consistent with the NRC regulations. All students are issued personnel dosimeters and the program is committed to the principle of keeping exposure as low as reasonably achievable. A pregnant student who voluntarily informs program officials of their pregnancy is issued a fetal dosimeter and may request reassignment to clinical areas where they may remain within the shielded controlled area; however, all clinical competencies must be met before a student can graduate.