Bachelor of Science in Histotechnology
The Histotechnology program is part of UMMC's School of Health Related Professions. It offers a bachelor of science in histotechnology degree.
In November 2016, the Board of Trustees of the State Institutions of Higher Learning voted to approve the request for the degree program, the first of its kind in the state of Mississippi. The first class began the program in August 2017.
The program consists of 63 semester hours over a 22-month (5 semester) period of continuous didactic, laboratory and clinical education. While enrolled in the BSHTL program, students learn standardized laboratory skills and methods such as tissue fixation, processing, embedding, sectioning and staining to achieve entry-level competencies.
Students who successfully complete the requirements of the BSHTL program are eligible to
take a national certification exam to become a certified histotechnologist.
- Delta Pathology Group – Meridian, MS
- Delta Pathology Group – New Orleans, LA
- Delta Pathology Group – Shreveport, LA
- Merit Health River Region – Vicksburg, MS
- Ochsner Medical Center: Jefferson Hwy – New Orleans, LA
- Ochsner Medical Center: Westbank – Gretna, LA
- St. Dominic-Jackson Memorial Hospital – Jackson, MS
- University of Mississippi Medical Center – Jackson, MS
Click here to apply