Adult Psychiatry Residency Program
Welcome to residency training in psychiatry at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC). As the state’s only psychiatry residency program embedded within an academic medical center, we are uniquely positioned to provide our residents with wide-ranging clinical, educational, and research experiences. With so many recent advances in the neurosciences, many of which are relevant to the promotion of mental health, choosing the right residency program is crucial to becoming a competent, well-rounded psychiatrist, capable of combining evidence-based approaches to treatment with a degree of compassion and caring that should define the role of a psychiatrist-in-practice. Our residents assess, manage, and provide care to a diverse patient population from various cultural, social and economic backgrounds. Their training here in Jackson will prepare them well for work in any setting upon graduation. Please click here to view the educational objectives for the program.
At UMMC, highlights of some of your experiences will include:
- Balanced training in psychotherapy & psychopharmacology
- “Curriculum 2025: Pathways in Mental Health Education” to provide protected time for learning
- Emphasis on diversity & inclusion
- Faculty devoted to teaching and training
- Opportunities for scholarship across a wide range of topics including medical education, clinical research, arts & literature, laboratory-based research, and ethics & law
- Outstanding clinical training, including inpatient, outpatient, emergency, and consultation-liaison psychiatry - please click here to review the rotation schedule for the program
- Rotations at new clinics and facilities such as the Addictions Program, Center for Integrative Health, and TEAM Clinic (LGBTQ Health)
As we work to recruit new residents to our program each year, we place heavy emphasis on finding people who are not only intelligent and hardworking, but also personable, friendly, and kind. We believe strongly in the importance of teamwork and cohesion, and we strive daily to create a work and learning environment in which our residents are thriving. It is our sincere and genuine wish to see our residents flourish here at UMMC, allowing them to reach their fullest potential such that they graduate with distinction and make important and lasting contributions to the field. Thank you for taking the time to learn more about UMMC Psychiatry.
Jahan Khan, MD