Residents and Fellows
Emergency Medicine Residency Application Information
Applications for student clerkship are accepted exclusively through VSAS.
- Audition rotations are offered to US MD/DO students only.
- All applications are accepted exclusively through the NRMP.
- Our program abides by all ERAS criteria and deadlines.
- The deadline for receiving applications is Oct. 31.
- All applicants must have passed USMLE or COMLEX STEP 1 prior to submitting an application.
- Applications will be reviewed without USMLE or COMLEX STEP 2 scores, but no applicant will be placed on the rank list without passing scores on STEP 2.
- If the applicant has completed one or more years of previous residency training, he or she must provide a passing STEP 3 score prior to final ranking.
- International students must have a valid ECFMG certificate prior to starting residency. All international students who have graduated prior to the application deadline must have a valid ECFMG certificate to be considered.
- If 4 or more years have passed since previous residency training or medical school graduation, a separate letter must be submitted to the program director with an explanation. Applications will only be reviewed upon receipt of this letter.
- If the applicant has previous residency training, he or she must have a letter of recommendation and summative competency-based evaluation completed from the previous residency program director(s).
- Our institution does not allow for sponsoring H1B visas. Although we don't typically sponsor J-1 visas, the most qualified applicants in ERAS will be selected without reference to visa status.
- Our program abides by all UMMC GME selection requirements. Click here for more information.
The Department of Emergency Medicine offers 16 PGY-1 positions. The program is listed in the national directory under Emergency Medicine. Positions are filled through the National Resident Matching Program. Medical students participating in the advanced match may pursue these positions. Applicants must apply through ERAS: The Electronic Residency Application Service. ERAS application materials will be distributed from the dean's office of the applicant. ERAS will transmit the required application form, the medical school transcript and dean's letter, USMLE or COMLEX scores, and letters of recommendation
Individuals interested in applying should contact:
- Department of Emergency Medicine
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 N. State St.
Jackson, MS 39216-4505
- Sarah A. Sterling, MD, Program Director