In February 1956, the Medical Technology program was approved by the Trustee Board for the State Institutions for Higher Learning (IHL). Originally, the program initiated as a certificate program in the clinical laboratory of the University Hospital.
In October 1957, the program received accreditation and the first class graduated in November 1957. The program received its last accreditation in September 2010 for the maximum awarded duration that is allowed.
The program was incorporated into the School of Health Related Professions as the Department of Medical Technology in 1977. At this time, the program curriculum was redesigned and received approval as a 2+2 baccalaureate program. Due to the demands of working professionals, a new curriculum was developed in 1991, which included an Advanced Standing (AS) program for Clinical Laboratory Technician (CLT)/Medical Laboratory Technicians (MLT). The AS program's name was changed to the Progression Program in 2011 to better reflect the transition of a CLT to MLS.
As one can see, the MLS program has evolved over the years as the demand for generalists and specialists in the medical laboratory profession has grown. The faculty has transitioned as well and is proud to provide the education that lays the foundation for future leaders in the medical laboratory sciences.