Main Content

Doctor of Health Administration FAQ

Application process

What degree do I need to apply for the DHA program?

A master's degree or professional doctorate from a regionally-accredited institution of higher learning with a GPA of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale in a health care-related field is required and five or more years of experience in health care management, health care policy, clinical medical specialty, etc. is preferred.

Do you accept out-of-state residents?

Yes. The DHA program is primarily taught online, so out of state students are represented in each cohort to date.  

When and how can I apply?

Applications are generally due December 1* of each year for cohorts beginning in the following summer term. All applicants pay a nonrefundable application fee of $25. You may apply at https://myu.umc.edu; choose guest access; choose admissions; and choose start application.

*For the 2019 admission cycle, the deadline has been extended until February 1, 2019.  

The program

How is the Doctorate of Health Administration (DHA) degree different than a PhD?

The DHA is a professional degree while the PhD is a research oriented degree. The latter focuses upon the generation of original research while the former focuses on the application of research and investigation to issues of a practical nature.

How long is the program?

The program is designed to be completed in three years.

What if I cannot make it to an DHA on campus session because of a work conflict?

These face to face, on-campus sessions are necessary to program and student success, therefore are mandatory. The approximate dates of all on-campus sessions are provided prior to enrollment. 

How many are accepted each year into your program?

Currently, the program accepts approximately 10-15 students each cohort. The resources available and the market demand determine the number accepted.

How many applicants receive an interview?

The admissions committee determines the exact number of individuals who are offered an interview.

Will other doctoral work transfer into the DHA?

In general, graduate credit earned in another recognized institution will not be accepted. The student may petition the program director for consideration of transfer credit. If granted, the student will be required to complete satisfactorily an independent study on material related to the course topics.

What is the tuition for the DHA program?

Contact the Department of Student Accounting at (601) 984-1060 for more information regarding the most current tuition fees. Tuition fees can also be viewed in the online UMMC Bulletin.

  • Click here to access the UMMC bulletin   
  • Click here to access the Office of Student Accounting website. 

 Is financial aid available?

Financial aid policies can be found by contacting the student financial aid office.

  • Click here to access the UMMC Student Financial Aid Office website