Student Name Policy and Use
Basis for Policy: UMMC has an expectation that a student’s legal name will be used in the course of UMMC business and education. UMMC acknowledges that a preferred name may be used in limited circumstances, recognizing that students may wish to use a preferred name rather than their legal first name to identify themselves.
Legal Name- Name recorded on a student’s legal identification, including passport, birth certificate or social security card, and utilized on official UMMC records.
Preferred Name- A name other than a student’s legal name that the student has indicated the desire to be identified and/or addressed by, that is significantly different from legal first name.
Policy: UMMC has an expectation that a student’s legal name will be used in the course of UMMC business and education. UMMC acknowledges that a preferred name may be used in certain delineated circumstances, recognizing that students may wish to use a preferred name rather than their legal first name to identify themselves. Students who are utilizing a preferred name should always be prepared to confirm their identification and provide additional information when necessary. Any student may designate a preferred first name regardless of whether they have legally changed their name.
UMMC reserves the right to decline or revoke a preferred name on the grounds the preferred name is used for criminal purpose, misrepresentation, may be harmful to the reputation or interests of UMMC, and/or conveys inappropriate or offensive language or meaning. Abuse or misuse of this policy may result in disciplinary action.
Students who register a preferred name must be aware that preferred names are required to be disclosed in certain circumstances, including during background checks and other legal processes. UMMC is under a continued responsibility to report such names even after a student has discontinued use of the preferred name.
Use of Legal or Preferred First Name
Legal Name: Instances where legal name will be used.
• Student accounts and bills
• Student Employment Records, Including I-9, Paychecks, and Paystubs
• I-20- for FI International students
• Financial aid documents, including FAFSA, refund checks and Billing Records and Communication
• Registrar’s Office Records (ie. permanent student file records)
• Enrollment and degree verification certificates
• Some official forms or correspondence from UMMC such as financial aid awards, departmental or program notices, new hire forms, etc.
• Official and Unofficial Transcripts
• Diplomas and Certificates
• Commencement programs
• Student information in the SIS
• Admissions records
• Disciplinary records
• Law Enforcement records
• Health insurance records, including enrollment and waiver
• All immunization forms
• Tax related documentation, including W-2and T-2104 tax forms
• UMMC email address
• UMMC degree audit
Preferred Name: Instances where preferred first name will be used.
• Online directory
• Class Rosters
• Learning Management System
• Advising systems
• Online Course Selection (OCS)
• ID Cards
• Email display name
When requesting a legal name change, supporting documentation must include one of the following:
• Birth Certificate
• Marriage License
• Divorce Decree (only redacted divorce decree)
• Court Order
• Naturalization Certificate, permanent resident alien card or documentation issued by U.S. Immigration and Customs Service
The University reserves the right to request additional supporting documentation.