Affiliated Students at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC)
PURPOSE: The purpose is to define the conditions under which affiliated students may interact with the institution.
POLICY: Affiliated students are non-UMMC students enrolled at academic institutions who engage in learning experiences at UMMC to meet requirements for their external academic programs. They are affiliated with UMMC for an academic semester or a portion of an academic semester to meet specific learning objectives. Affiliated students are not eligible for the benefits provided to UMMC employees or UMMC students. The Office of Academic Affiliations in the Office of the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs establishes the conditions and requirements for how affiliated students may interact with the institution.
A. Academic Affiliation Agreements:
1. Affiliated students are supported with current, binding academic affiliation agreements between UMMC and the academic institutions and programs.
2. For affiliated students from programs of medicine, the AAMC’s visiting student application system is utilized. Academic affiliation agreements with individual institutions and medical programs are not obtained due to participation in the AAMC’s visiting student application system.
3. The Office of Academic Affiliations submits all proposed academic affiliation agreements to UMMC’s Contracts Administration for review, approval, and execution.
4. The Office of Academic Affiliations retains copies of all executed academic affiliation agreements supporting affiliated students.
B. Affiliated Student Placements:
1. All affiliated student placements at UMMC must be registered with and approved by the Office of Academic Affiliations.
2. Affiliated programs must submit information in accordance with the requirements established by the Office of Academic Affiliations to request affiliated student placements.
3. For affiliated students from programs of medicine, the AAMC’s visiting student application system is utilized. Approved UMMC affiliated student coordinators for the School of Medicine must submit information to the Office of Academic Affiliations to request affiliated student placements for affiliated students from programs of medicine who have been approved via the AAMC’s visiting student application system.
4. Affiliated students must complete and adhere to all requirements established by the Office of Academic Affiliations in order to participate in the approved affiliated student placements.
5. Affiliated student placements begin and terminate on the dates of the learning experiences that are registered with and approved by the Office of Academic Affiliations.
6. Arrangements for clinical/experiential education for affiliated students will be determined in collaboration between the affiliated students/programs and the approved UMMC affiliated student coordinators and managers/direct supervisors of the corresponding areas/disciplines.
7. Approved UMMC affiliated student coordinators for the corresponding areas/disciplines are responsible for ensuring that affiliated students have completed all conditions and requirements outlined by the Office of Academic Affiliations prior to beginning the affiliated student placements.
8. The Office of Academic Affiliations may deny requests for affiliated student placements or discontinue ongoing affiliated student placements for cause, including but not limited to, if the affiliated programs or affiliated students violate UMMC policies or procedures, are noncompliant with terms of the academic affiliation agreements, or demonstrate clinical performance that is unsatisfactory or behavior that is disruptive or detrimental to the institution and/or the patient(s). Concurrently, the affiliated program must take action regarding any student whose performance record or conduct does not justify continuance in clinical/experiential education at UMMC.