Nephrology professor collects kudos for quality
Dr. Luis A. Juncos, right, professor of nephrology, receives the quarterly Q Award from Dr. William H. Cleland, professor of obstetrics and gynecology and chief medical officer.
Juncos was nominated for the award by Catherine Wells, instructor in nephrology, who wrote that he "has exceptionally high standards for himself first - and then also others."
"He is committed to every aspect of dialysis services and it is apparent by his actions that his goal is to make UMMC's program a superior provider of dialysis services," Wells wrote. "He clearly claims his mission is to take care of the patients in Mississippi who need help.
"He cares about the people who are our patients, and that we serve their needs in the best way we can."
The Q Award is presented quarterly by Quality Administration to a Medical Center physician who promotes quality and improves patient safety. To nominate a physician for the award, select the Q Award link under the UMMC Yellow Pages in the Support section of the UMMC Intranet.
Caloss takes oral-maxillofacial interim reins
Dr. Ron Caloss, associate professor of dentistry and vice chair of the Department of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery and Pathology, has been named interim chair of the department effective July 1. He replaces Dr. Harry Precheur, who recently retired.
A native of San Antonio, Texas, Caloss earned his undergraduate degree at the University of Texas at Austin and the D.D.S. in 1994 and the M.D. in 1999 at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, where he also interned. He completed residency training at Wake Forest University in Winston Salem, N.C., and at the University of Texas Health Science Center. He completed a fellowship at Baptist Golden Triangle Hospital in Columbus.
Caloss is a member of several professional organizations, including the American Dental Association, the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and the Christian Medical and Dental Association. He is the author or coauthor of 12 articles published in peer-reviewed medical journals.
He joined the School of Dentistry faculty in 2008 as program director for the O.M.S./M.D. Residency Program.
UMMC staff receive service recognition
The Medical Center is proud to acknowledge those employees who will celebrate service anniversaries this week:
* Fay Beach, education administrator, Ophthalmology
* Morise Hines, photo technician, Biomedical Illustration Services
* Essie Jordan, surgical tech, Sterile Processing
* Betty Hall, inpatient nurse, 5 South
* Dr. Charles C. Tolbert, associate professor of dentistry (Care Planning and Restorative Sciences)
* Lucianna Wells, physician scheduler, Scheduling
* Latasha Moses, transplant coordinator nurse, Kidney Transplant
* Thomas Boone, pharmacist, Pharmacy
* Elizabeth Cohron, inpatient nurse, Medical Surgical Float
* Vera Finley, manager of ambulatory operations, School of Dentistry (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Pathology)
* Emily Hall, administrative assistant, Emergency Medicine
* Derek Holt, nurse practitioner, Emergency Medicine
* Frances Jones, respiratory therapist, Respiratory Therapy
* Lisa Jones, cashier, Food and Nutrition Services
* Luellen McPhail, information systems educator, Batson Children's Hospital Education
* Ashley Prendez, child life specialist, Child Life Specialists Nurses
* Eryn Shaw, administrative assistant, Anesthesiology
* Connie Thrash, nurse, Urology
Akerley to present microbiology seminar
Dr. Brian Akerley, assistant professor of microbiology and physiological systems at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, will present the microbiology seminar, "Bacterial Adaptations in Lung Colonization and Viral Co-infection Revealed by Genome-scale Approaches," at 3 p.m. on Monday, July 8, in room 4A.
Refreshments will be available at 4 p.m. in room N547. All Medical Center faculty, staff and students are invited.
For more information, call Angeline Green at 4-1700.
Baillargeon to give dental practice seminar
Sandie Baillargeon, creator of the first certificate course in dental practice management at the University of Toronto, Faculty and Dentistry, will present the seminar, "Dental Practice Management: Leap Off the Business Plateau and Soar to New Heights," from 7:45 a.m.-4:15 p.m. on Friday, July 26, in the Norman C. Nelson Student Union.
Dental hygienists and dental team members are invited. To register, visit http://www.cvent.com/d/zcq610/4W.
For more information, call Joan Bounds at 4-1300.
UMMC Committee Book now online
The 2013-14 Medical Center Committee Book is now available on the UMMC Intranet.
The book includes standing committees for the Medical Center, University Hospitals and Clinics and the Schools of Medicine, Graduate Studies in the Health Sciences, Dentistry, Nursing and Health Related Professions.
To access the book, scroll over the "Welcome" entry on the left-hand tool bar and select "UMC Committees," or visit http://www.umc.edu/intranet/committees.pdf.
For more information, call Dorothy Singleton at 5-4883 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.