Policies and Procedures

Non-Degree Seeking Student

A minimum of 10 working days prior to registration, a UMMC employee who wishes to take graduate courses, and has not been accepted into a program of study at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, may be allowed to register for course credit as a non-degree seeking student in the School of Population Health

Request an official transcript from the school where he/she received his/her latest degree and have it sent to the following address:

  • Office of Student Records and Registrar
    University of Mississippi Medical Center
    2500 N. State St.
    Jackson, MS 39216

Applicants must complete an Approval to Register form located on website under Non-Degree Student Packet link.

Applicants must secure permission (signatures) to attend class by the course instructor and program director. However, the course is not approved until authorized by the dean of the School of Population Health or designee.

The student submits the signed Approval to Register form and the supervisor's memo to the School of Population Health office for the dean's signature.

After the dean, or designee signs the form, the School of Population Health administrative staff will email a copy of the signed form to the registrar's office, the associate dean of the School of Population Health and the director of business operations of the School of Population Health.

The registrar's office will send an email to the student containing a link to the online application for a non-degree student. The applicant must complete the online application for admission.

The admissions officer will process the application and send an email to the associate dean of the School of Population Health stating that the student has been admitted and is ready to be registered.

A maximum of 9 credit hours may be taken as a non-degree student.

At the time of registration, the student must obtain an Employee Tuition Benefit form from Student Accounting. This form must be signed by the student and submitted to the chair/head of the department in which the individual is employed. After the chair/head signs the form and indicates the appropriate account, the student must return the signed form to Student Accounting. If the course to be taken meets during normal working hours, an Education Leave Request form must be completed and submitted to the department chair/head.