Information Systems' chef team takes Taste title
Steve Waite of the Division of Information Systems' Ghostbusters team receives the Dr. Fine Swine trophy from Todd Mangum of presenting sponsor BancorpSouth while the rest of the DIS crew celebrate its Taste of the U overall championship at the 24th annual event Feb. 22 in the Jackson Medical Mall Thad Cochran Center. (Enlarge photo)
Other category winners and their themes included:
• Children’s Choice and Overall Second Runners-up: UMMC Chinese Students and Scholars, "Happy and Healthy;"
• People’s Choice: Physical Facilities, "Slap Ya Mama Good;"
• Heart Healthy: School of Pharmacy, "Hard Rock Café;"
• Best Presentation: Neurobiology and Behavior Research, "Walking Dead;"
• Best Taste: Infection Prevention; and
• Overall First Runners Up: Hospital Administration, "Taste of the Bayou."
Celebrity judges included Mississippi News Now anchor Maggie Wade, chef and restaurant owner Grant Nooe, Francine Thomas Reynolds, art director at New Stage Theatre, Dr. David Dzielak, director of the Mississippi Division of Medicaid, and Toy Wolfe, UMMC dietitian.
Taste of the U raises funds for the UMMC Alliance, a nonprofit organization that benefits Medical Center patients, families, students and facilities. Funds raised during this year’s Taste will help renovate the Department of Radiology reception area.