Former faculty receives visionary distinction
The Women's Fund of Mississippi will honor Dr. Helen Barnes (pictured here in 2007), former UMMC faculty, as one of 10 "Women of Vision" at the organization's 10th anniversary celebration Oct. 24.
A Jackson native, Barnes earned her medical degree at Howard University in 1958 and later returned to her home state to provide medical care to poor women in the Delta. She joined the UMMC faculty in 1969 and was instrumental in founding UMMC's Primary Care Clinic for Women at the Jackson Medical Mall Thad Cochran Center.
Barnes retired in 2003 but remains active.