Local students among record number of graduates at UMMC's 57th Commencement
Media Contact: University of Mississippi Medical Center Division of Public Affairs at 601-984-1100.
From the University of Mississippi Medical Center Division of Public Affairs
For more information contact the Division of Public Affairs at (601) 984-1100. Photos of graduates are available upon request. Please see attached Excel sheet for a complete list of graduates or click here.
JACKSON, Miss. – A record 681 physicians, dentists, nurses, allied health professionals and graduate students in the health sciences were awarded degrees during the University of Mississippi Medical Center’s 57th Commencement, the largest ever, held May 24 at the Mississippi Coliseum in Jackson.
University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones and Dr. James Keeton, UMMC vice chancellor for health affairs and dean of the School of Medicine, presided over the ceremony in which the following degrees were conferred:
• in the School of Medicine, 113 graduates received the doctor of medicine (M.D.) degree;
• in the School of Dentistry, 37 graduates earned the doctor of dental medicine (D.M.D.) degree;
• in the School of Nursing, 124 graduates earned the bachelor of science in nursing (B.S.N.) degree, 54 earned the master of science in nursing (M.S.N.) degree and eight earned the doctor of nursing practice (D.N.P.);
• in the School of Health Related Professions, 275 graduates received degrees - the doctorate in physical therapy (D.P.T.) was awarded to 65 graduates and the master’s in occupational therapy (M.O.T.) was awarded to 33 graduates, while the bachelor of science (B.S.) degree was awarded to 43 in radiologic sciences, 27 in dental hygiene, 22 in clinical laboratory science, 43 in health science, seven in cytotechnology, and 7 in health information management;
• in the School of Graduate Studies in the Health Science, 26 graduates were presented the doctorate degree (Ph.D.) and 44 received the Master of Science (M.S.) degree.
The six students who received top honors were:
• Haley Routh Clark of Ridgeland, who received the Waller S. Leathers Award for the medical student with the highest academic average for four years;
• Lacey Michelle Harris of Kiln, who received the Wallace V. Mann Award for the dental student with the highest academic average for four years;
• Paul Thomas Munn of Mendenhall, who received the Christine L. Oglevee Memorial Award as the outstanding School of Nursing baccalaureate graduate;
• Ottis Lee Brown, Jr., of Flowood, who received the Dr. Virginia Stansel Tolbert Award for the highest academic average in the School of Health Related Professions; and
• Daniel Forrest Lyons, who received the Charles Randall-Trustmark Award for outstanding research achievement.