UMMC Navigation

Employee Benefits

Main Content

Insurance Plans

Medical benefits

Medical benefit (State and School Employer’s Health Insurance Plan)

Register on the myBlue website (BlueCross BlueShield of Mississippi) to receive your medical insurance cards online, access your Explanation of Benefits (EOB), and find a network provider.

Get your medical insurance cards

  • Click here to register in MyBlue. Click on the “My Info” tab at the top and click on “Click to View ID Card” to request card(s). The first time you log into MyBlue to register, it will ask you if you are a state employee – be sure to select “yes." 
  • You can access your ID card and claims on your mobile device which is available on the App Store or Google Play using the myBlue mobile app.

Find a network provider

  • Go to DFA’s website at
  • Click on the link AHS State Network (in state) to find a provider in Mississippi, and click on the link Blue Card Program (out of state) to find a provider out of the state.
  • You can find a provider using the myBlue mobile app on your mobile device which is available on the APP Store or Google Play.

Get your pharmacy insurance cards

UMMC 2 You Telehealth

UMMC 2 You gives you the same minor medical care you would receive in a UMMC clinic on your computer, tablet or smartphone. You can talk face-to-face with a board certified UMMC provider, tell them your symptoms, and receive a diagnosis. All without leaving your home or workplace. They can even call in a prescription or refer you to a specialist if needed. Appointments are available 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday. For more information, click here.

Dental and vision benefit (AlwaysCare)

Dental plans

Get your dental and/or vision insurance cards

  • You can obtain your id card online at
  • You can access your ID card on your mobile device which is available on the App Store or Google Play using the AlwaysAssist mobile app.

Find a network provider

  • You can find a provider by going to AlwaysAssist website. Click on Search for Starmount/AlwaysCare Dental Providers or Starmount/AlwaysCare Vision Providers.
  • You can find a provider using the AlwaysAssist mobile app which is available on the APP Store or Google Play.

Vision plan

Flexible spending accounts

  • Southern Administrators and Benefits Consultants Inc. (SABC)
  • FSA medical reimbursement account
    • Allows for you to use pre-tax funds to pay for unreimbursed out of pocket expenses related to medical, dental and vision charges for you and/or your dependents. Election amount is cash advanced to you for use towards eligible expenses and is payroll deducted over the remaining pay periods for the rest of the calendar year. A flex debit card is available. Must submit proof of eligible charges for claims to be covered. Claims must be incurred by March 15 and filed for reimbursement as of April 15 or you lose the money! The annual limit per participant is $2,600.
  • FSA dependent care reimbursement account
    • Allows for you to use pre-tax funds to pay for dependent daycare expenses throughout the calendar year. Election amount is payroll deducted over the remaining pay periods for the rest of the calendar year.  Expenses may include the costs for in-house or on-site care centers (caring for six or more individuals) or for at-home services provided by 3rd parties who meet applicable state and federal law standards. The person being cared for must be either a child or other dependent under age 13 that you are entitled to claim as a dependent on your income tax return, or your spouse or other legal dependent who is physically or mentally incapable of caring for himself or herself. The annual limit per family is $5000. Claims must be filed no later than April 15 of the following plan year for reimbursement.
  • Submit a claim to SABC
    • Submit a claim via SABC secure portal. You can submit a claim via the SABC Mobile App for smartphones. Using the camera on your phone, take a picture of medical receipts and submit the claim for reimbursement.
  • Check your account balance
  • Enrolling or changing your flexible spending account
    • You can enroll as a new hire within 31 days for your hire date. You can make appropriate changes to your FSA within 90 days of a qualifying life event. The change has to be consistent with the Change in Status. The change form can be found on the benefits website.

Life insurance plans

State and school employees life insurance plan (Minnesota Life)

  • Plan document
  • Overview of plan
    • Employee-only term life insurance coverage
    • Benefit amount = 2X annual salary rounded up to nearest $1,000
    • Maximum benefit amount is $100,000
    • UMMC splits the cost of this coverage with you. Your cost is 0.045 cents/$1,000 worth of coverage. Example: if benefit amount = $100,000, then premiums = $4.50 per pay period
    • Accidental Death and Dismemberment amount equal to amount of life insurance benefit is included
    • New hires have Guarantee Issue. Late enrollment requires the completion of an Evidence of Insurability form and possible denial of coverage

Supplemental term life insurance (UNUM)

Whole life (UNUM)

Disability insurance plans

Short-term disability (UNUM)

Long-term disability (UNUM)

Long-term disability (Standard)

Long-term disability (Mass Mutual)

  • Individual Disability Insurance through the William Morris Group, PA, is available to the following job classes: Admin UHHS, CEO, CFO, Chief (except for Chief Dental Assistants), CNO, Comptroller, COO, CRNA, Director, Instructor, Nurse Practitioner, Pharmacist, Physician, Professor, VC, Assistant Administrator, Administrator – Children’s Hospital, Perfusionist, General Counsel, Administrator-Rehab SVCS, Dept Business Administrator, Admin-Dir, Admin House SUPV-Nursing, Admin-Transplant SVCS, Division Business Admin, Pharmacy Residents, House Officers and Fellows. This individual non-cancellable/guaranteed renewable policy covers earnings not covered by other long-term disability plans. These earnings may include private practice income or your UMMC income. Eligible employees for this plan may contact Chris Walters or Scott Bates at (601) 948-0037 for enrollment and claim information.

Voluntary AFLAC insurance (accident, critical illness, hospital indemnity)

Burial insurance

  • You may purchase burial insurance though Transamerica Life Insurance Co. for each member of the family - employee, spouse, children and grandchildren. All permanent plans have cash and loan values and premiums are guaranteed and cannot be increased. If there is a change in your employement, the policy is portable and you can continue your coverage with no decrease in your benefits and no increase in your premiums.
  • To enroll, make changes or cancel burial insurance, contact Catchings Insurance Agency at (601) 335-7489.