Click the links below to find more information:
The Department of Otolaryngology and Communicative Sciences first started in 1955 as a division of the Department of Surgery at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. Dr. James D. Hardy had been recruited from the University of Tennessee in Memphis to serve as chair of the surgery department, and Dr. Edley Jones of Vicksburg, Miss., became the first chief of the otolaryngology division and was one of the original faculty members. Dr. Jones had trained in the beginning specialty of eye, ear, nose and throat disease at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, Temple University, and the Chicago Eye and Ear Infirmary. He served as chief of the division until 1960.
Dr. Godfrey Arnold was named chief of the division and served in that position from 1963-79. He received his training in otolaryngology at Vienna University and Berlin University. Dr. Arnold came to UMMC after serving as faculty at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. His interests in voice disorders led to national fame for his influence on laryngology and introduction of Teflon for vocal cord paralysis.
The residency program in 1963 began with Dr. Arnold as its program director. The first resident to actually complete the entire otolaryngology program was Dr. William Thomas Moore. He was associate resident July 1, 1964-June 30, 1966, and served as senior and chief resident in otolaryngology July 1,1966-June 30, 1967. Dr. John Lee Davis did his chief residency year only here from July 13, 1964-July 13, 1965.
After Dr. Arnold's retirement, Dr. Myron Lockey of Jackson was division chief for about a year. Dr. Lockey completed his otolaryngology training at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Dallas.
Dr. Winsor V. Morrison, who trained at Washington University in St. Louis and came to UMMC from the University of Tennessee in Memphis, followed as chief from 1981-93 at which time he retired. Dr. Vinod Anand finished his training at New York's Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital and Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh and became division chief for the next eight years.
Dr. Scott Stringer, who trained at the University of Texas Southwestern, was recruited from the University of Florida in Gainesville in 2001 to be chief of the division. In 2002, the division split from the surgery department and became the Department of Otolaryngology and Communicative Sciences with Dr. Stringer as its first and only chair to date. The department continues to grow and has gained a national reputation for innovative ideas in teaching, research and clinical care.
2500 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39216
General Information: 601-984-1000
Patient Appointments: 888-815-2005