About Us


Apply OnlineContact UsOrientation VideoNews
  • History of the School of Nursing

    SONThe University of Mississippi School of Nursing assumes responsibility for providing the people of Mississippi with registered nurses of high professional competence, as well as for raising the professional and educational standards of the nurses already practicing in Mississippi.

    Named after its first dean, the School of Nursing is housed in the Christine L. Oglevee building, which adjoins the University of Mississippi Medical Center hospitals.

    As a professional school functioning within the general framework and policies of the University of Mississippi, the School of Nursing reflects the purpose of the University of Mississippi in its educational services for the state of Mississippi.

     

    School of Nursing Timeline

    1948

    The Mississippi State Legislature authorized the establishment of the Department of Nursing on the campus of the University of Mississippi in Oxford. This was Mississippi's first baccalaureate nursing program.

    1956

    The Department of Nursing moved to the University of Mississippi Medical Center campus in Jackson.

    1958

    The Department of Nursing became the School of Nursing.

    1970

    The UMMC School of Nursing established Mississippi's first graduate nursing program. The Master of Science in Nursing program now offers six tracks of study: Acute Care Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Educator, Nursing and Health Care Administrator and Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.

    1997

    The University of Mississippi School of Nursing, in collaboration with the University of Southern Mississippi, established a PhD in Nursing program.

    1998

    The School of Nursing opened its first nurse-managed primary-care clinic, UNACARE. Since its opening, the clinic has provided health-care services and education to more than 25,000 patients.

    1999

    University Nursing Associates began operating its first school-based clinic at Johnson Elementary. This was the first nurse-managed school health center in Mississippi.

    2001

    Funded by the Vicksburg Sisters of Mercy, the Mercy Delta Express mobile clinic rolled out to provide health care and health education to counties of the Mississippi Delta.

    2006

    The Accelerated BSN program admitted its first students.

    2008

    Two additional school-based clinics opened at Brown Elementary School and Rowan Middle School.

    2009

    The School of Nursing began offering the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program.

    2013

    The School of Nursing established a BSN-DNP program.

    2014

    Several new programs were established. An RN-BSN dual-enrollment program was established with Hinds Community College and Northwest Mississippi Community College. The first class of BSN-PhD students were admitted, and the Accelerated BSN program, which up until this point had only been available in Jackson, also admitted a class of students in Oxford.