Taste of the U to benefit UMMC Alliance
Food, drinks and costumes from far-flung volcanic islands to nearby Louisiana swamps will transform the Jackson Medical Mall into a massive multi-theme party and fundraiser from 7-9 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 23 during the annual Taste of the U.
A panel of six celebrity judges will make awards to chef teams in several categories. This year’s judges are:
* Josh Marks, “The 7-foot Chef” and runner up on Season 3 of MasterChef;
* Wanda Collier-Wilson, president and CEO of the Jackson Convention and Visitors Bureau;
* Patty Roper, editorial director for Mississippi Magazine and the author of five entertaining and recipe books;
* Rebecca Turner, registered dietitian with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Nutrition Affairs Program Manager for the Southeast Dairy Association and Founder of Runner’s FUEL
* Zack Athearn, owner and chef of City Grille in Madison; and
* Byron Brown, journalist and evening anchor for News Channel 12.
This year’s Taste of the U honors Dr. Richard and Dr. Suzanne Miller, UMMC’s first couple of pediatric medicine and surgery.
Taste of the U benefits the UMMC Alliance, a non-profit that supports the needs of Medical Center patients and families, students and facilities. Last year’s Taste of the U entertained about 1,000 people and raised the Alliance nearly $60,000.
Tickets are $25 for adults, $15 for students and $5 for children and can be purchased from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 22, in the hallway leading to the Methodist Rehabilitation Center near McDonald's, at the Jackson Medical Mall main entrance during the event, or on the Taste of the U webpage.