Waterline breaks close off-campus clinics, hospital operations continue unaffected
By Jack Mazurak
Water mains damaged by freezing temperatures are causing widespread loss of water pressure in Jackson. The situation has resulted in the closing this afternoon of the Jackson Medical Mall and UMMC operations there, as well as a number of off-campus clinic sites around the city. Operations at the main UMMC campus hospitals continue as normal.
UMMC water is supplied by campus wells and is unaffected by the outages. However, the hydrants on campus are supplied by city water and are temporarily affected. To report any fire, no matter how small, call 911 or (601) 984-6666.
The following locations are closed and all UMMC patient appointments are being accommodated where possible. Patients needing to be rescheduled will be contacted.
- University Physicians Northeast Jackson at Select Specialty Hospital
- Pediatrics services at the North Clinic and the Pediatric Specialty Clinic near Veterans Memorial Stadium
- West Jackson Family Medical Center
- Lakeland Family Medicine Center
- Medical Towers on Woodrow Wilson
- Medical Mall offices: Ambulatory Care Clinics, Cancer Institute clinics, Department of Radiation Oncology and the outpatient dialysis center
Patients with appointments at the facilities mentioned above can call (888) 815-2005 regarding the status of their appointments.
Employees who work in these facilities are being reassigned to other duties if possible for the remainder of the day.
Nurses affected by the outage will need to call in for reassignment to the Nursing Office at (601) 984-4130.
All facilities are expected to open Tuesday and operate on a normal schedule. Status changes will be posted here at www.umc.edu by 5:30 a.m. Tuesday.